University of Nevada, Reno Anthropology students and faculty alike are busy presenting and publishing their work, organizing and hosting public lectures by distinguished visitors, and bringing positive attention to our department. Here are just a few of our recent accomplishments; check back often for updates on upcoming department events.
- Congratulations to Amanda Rankin (Student Research Grant Winner), Danielle Felling (Best Student Paper), and all of the other UNR Anthropology students who recently attended and presented at the Nevada Anthropological Conference in Minden.
- Dr. Barbara Voss visit to be rescheduled at a later date due to illness. Stay tuned.
- Ph.D. candidate Laura Wilhelm awarded a Russell J. and Dorothy S. Bilinski Fellowship from UNR to support the completion of her dissertation.
- On March 27th, UNR Anthropology welcomes Dr. Katrina Daly (University of Wisconsin, Madison). She will give a public presentation at 7 PM in DSMC Room 101 titled "Strategies for Taming a Swahili Husband: Zanzibari Women's Talk about Love in Islamic Marriages".
- Several UNR Anthropology graduate students will be participating in the upcoming College of Liberal Arts Graduate Student Symposium, to be held February 21-22 on the UNR campus. On Saturday, February 22, Elizabeth Bennett, Laura Sechrist, Katee Withee, Ashlee Younie, and Emily Dale will be featured in a session titled "Archaeology in Nevada" from 11:15AM to 12:45 PM in the MIKC Auditorium. Later that same day from 3:00 to 5:00 PM in the MIKC Graduate Reading Room, Madalina Alama, Steven Holm, and Laura Wilhelm will be featured in a session titled "An Interdisciplinary Conversation on the Uses, Misuses, and Relevance of 'Identity'".
- Dr. Debbie Boehm begins her term as a Visiting Scholar at the Center for the Study of Law and Society at UC Berkeley.
- Dr. Sarah Cowie appointed to the American Anthropological Association's Taskforce on Cultural Heritage.
- UNR alumna Emily Middleton publishes the results of her thesis research on Paleoindian rock art in the Journal of Archaeological Science.
- Julie Goodman, Kelly Heim, Ellie Maniery, Evan Pellegrini, Amanda Rankin, Sarah Rice, Roman Schomberg, Ian Springer, and Cauder Tempel receive UNR Graduate School Scholarships.