Skip Site Navigation
Skip To Page Content

University Administrative Manual

5,305: Posting, Distributing and Exhibition of Printed Materials

Last Revised: March 1998

Printed materials (as well as handwritten material) include posters, signs, circulars, newspapers, pamphlets, handbills, fliers, announcements, graffiti or statements and similar material.

No printed material may be on, attached to, or written on any structure or natural feature of any university facility such as the sides or doors of buildings, windows, the surface of walkways or streets, fountains, posts, fences, monuments, waste receptacles, trees, shrubbery, rocks, or statues. Manzanita Lake and its shoreline are considered natural features. No printed materials may be placed on a vehicle other than by the owner or driver of the vehicle, or by a member of the University Police or Parking departments.

Publications, both non-university and university, are allowed on campus as further specified in this section. The specific guidelines, e.g., size, are available either from the Scheduling Services Office or the university organization responsible for the facility. Publishers and distributors shall be responsible for reasonable clean-up costs. Failure to comply with the guidelines will result in the loss of the privilege to use university facilities for up to one year. Appeals may be directed to the assistant vice president for Planning, Budget and Analysis.

Non-University Publications: Non-university publications are not allowed to be distributed at exterior locations and will have limited interior sites. The only campus buildings allowed to have interior non-university publication sites will be the residence halls, Joe Crowley Student Union, and the University Inn, and are to be scheduled directly with each facility. Non-university publications must be displayed and maintained as required by the individual responsible for each of these buildings.

University Publications: University publications are allowed at specified exterior locations and at least one distribution point inside each campus building if this can be accommodated without compromising safety. The Office of Communications has the authority to approve which publications are official university publications. The Associated Students of the University of Nevada (ASUN) or Graduate Student Association (GSA) has the authority to approve student publications. The assistant vice president for Facilities Management or designee(s) will determine exterior and interior distribution sites and all other specifications in consultation with building managers, ASUN, and GSA.

Posting on Bulletin Boards: All bulletin boards on campus are assumed to be "public view bulletin boards" unless identified as a "legal notice bulletin board" or a "department bulletin board".

Public View Bulletin Boards: Materials to be posted on "public view bulletin boards" by non-university organizations, groups, or individuals must be approved by the Scheduling Services Office before posting, except that ASUN or GSA have the authority to approve student material. Materials must include the official source of the posting and contact information on whose behalf the material is posted.

Materials to be posted by non-university organizations, groups, or individuals must include the following statement on the face of the document and may be part of the text of the document or affixed with a stamp available in the Scheduling Services Office:

"The contents of this document do not reflect an opinion or endorsement by the University of Nevada, Reno. This document is not printed or distributed at state expense."

All materials on the "public view bulletin boards" will be removed on the first working day of every month by the building custodial staff. A copy of all materials approved by the Scheduling Services Office will be kept on file by that office.

Specific guidelines and the fee structure for posting by non-university organizations, groups, and individuals are available from the Scheduling Services Office. Failure to comply with the guidelines will result in the loss of the privilege to use university facilities for up to one year. Appeals may be directed to the Assistant vice president for Planning, Budget and Analysis.

The ASUN may have announcements or signs on campus grounds only for ASUN elections. The ASUN and recognized student organizations may, on special occasions, have announcements or statements on campus grounds with the approval of the vice president for Student Services through the Joe Crowley Student Union office.

Department Bulletin Boards: Postings are at the discretion of and maintained by the university department or recognized student group responsible for a given bulletin board.

Legal Notice Bulletin Boards: The university department responsible for designating a bulletin board as a "legal notice bulletin board" is responsible for all postings and for the subsequent removal of those postings.

University Block N Logo

University of Nevada, Reno

University of Nevada, Reno
1664 N. Virginia Street
Reno,  NV  89557-

(775) 784-1110
Website Help
Contact Us

Accessibility Tools

Emergency Information
Emergency Alerts
Doing business with us