2,907: Graduate Assistant Tuition Allocation Policy
Last Revised: December 2014
The University of Nevada, Reno allocates graduate tuition costs based on the following guidelines:
- Sponsored project account - tuition charges cannot exceed the amount proportional to the student's level of effort on the project for the entire semester.
- State account - tuition charges cannot exceed the amount proportional to the salary paid to the student for the entire semester from fund 1101 and 1104 accounts.
- Discretionary account - (e.g. department, PI indirect cost recovery) - full or partial tuition costs are allowable irrespective of the student's effort and/or salary payments.
Late Start Assistantships:
Assistantships that start prior to the eighth week of the semester are eligible for full tuition support for that semester. Tuition support for assistantships starting after the eighth week will be prorated based on the number of weeks left in the semester.
In the event the graduate student assistantship is terminated prior to the eighth week of the semester, the graduate assistantship will be revoked and all fees will become the responsibility of the student. Assistantships terminated between the eight and fourteenth week of the semester will be prorated based on the number of weeks completed. Any tuition charges that are deemed to be unallowable costs on a sponsored account will become the responsibility of the department that hired the student.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Faculty Supervisors/Principal Investigators: Ensure that student salary, tuition and insurance are charged to sponsored and state accounts reflecting the student's effort for the semester. Notify department/unit administrators to process corrective documents as soon as a change in the student's effort occurs.
Department/Unit Administrators: Assist faculty to prepare documents and manage accounts to ensure that charges are posted to the correct account. The designated account must be budgeted for the expenses. The correct budget lines are:
- Graduate student salaries - 12
- Health insurance and fringe benefit costs - 16
- Tuition and fees - 44
All documents must be complete, reference an account number that is budgeted for tuition, and use the correct amounts to be charged based on a pro rata distribution of the salary. Failure to provide complete and accurate information will result in a delay of processing the documents.