2,113: Benefits - Postdoctoral Fellows
Last Revised: January 2004
- Annual leave with pay will be accrued at 1 ¼ working days per full month of continuous service. Part-time postdoctoral fellows shall be granted a pro-rata amount of annual leave. Annual leave may be accumulated up to a maximum of 15 work days at the last day of each month. Earned annual leave shall be taken at a time approved or directed by the supervisor. Postdoctoral fellows shall not be paid for any unused annual leave upon termination of employment.
- Sick leave with pay will be granted as required, up to 15 days at full salary, available at any time during the initial 12 months of service. Beginning 12 months after the starting date of his or her contract, the postdoctoral fellow will begin to accrue additional sick leave at a rate of 1 ¼ working days per full month of service. Part-time postdoctoral fellows shall be granted a pro-rata amount of sick leave. Sick leave may be accrued from year to year, not to exceed 15 working days at the last day of each month. Postdoctoral fellows shall not be paid for any unused sick leave upon termination of employment.
- Postdoctoral fellows are not eligible for Leave without Pay except under provisions of the Family Medical Leave Act. As an alternative to taking a leave, a postdoctoral fellow can terminate employment and then can be considered for reemployment at some later time at the discretion of the appointing authority.
- The NSHE group health insurance plan will be provided to postdoctoral fellows. If the start date coincides with the first day of the month, health insurance coverage becomes effective on that date. If the hire date is any day after the first of the month, health insurance will go into effect on the first of the following month.
- Postdoctoral fellows participate in a 403(b) retirement plan with contributions of 6.2% of salary, made by both the employee and the employer. No contribution is made to Social Security by employee or employer.
- Postdoctoral fellows will receive workers compensation coverage paid by the employer and Medicare coverage with contributions of 1.45% of salary made by both employee and the employer.
- Postdoctoral fellows are issued identification cards denoting their postdoctoral status which entitles them to library privileges, use of university facilities, and parking permits. Fees for these services are assessed in accordance with university policy.
- Grants-in-aid for tuition and fees will not be provided by the University.
- Postdoctoral fellows with appointments of half time or more, along with the spouse and dependent children, will be considered in-state residents for tuition purposes.
- Postdoctoral fellows are not eligible for computer loans or other programs limited to faculty and/or classified employees.
For additional information on benefits for postdoctoral fellows, see the Board of Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 7.