Excess Credit Fee Policy
1. A 50 percent Excess Credit Fee on the per-credit registration fee shall be charged to a student who has accrued attempted credits equal to 150 percent of the credits required for the student's program of study. The Excess Credit Fee shall be imposed on registration fees charged in the current semester and in subsequent semesters, including summer terms, where a student's cumulative credit hour total exceeds 150 percent of the credits required for the student's program of study.
2. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, credits from previously earned degrees or certificates shall be excluded from the 150 percent credit calculation. For a student seeking a bachelor's degree who has previously earned a certificate or associate's degree, attempted credits from those previously earned awards will be included in the Excess Credit Fee threshold calculation.
3. Institutions shall establish an appeals process and may exclude from the 150 percent calculation the following:
a. Credits earned through examinations for determining credit for prior learning as authorized in Title 4, Chapter 14;
b. Credits attempted while enrolled as a high school student if those credits do not meet the degree requirements for the student's program of study;
c. Credits attempted at an institution outside NSHE if those credits do not meet the degree requirements for the student's program of study;
d. Credits attempted for remedial courses; and
e. Other credits determined by the institution as inappropriate for the 150 percent credit calculation.
4. Community service and non-credit bearing continuing education courses are not subject to the provisions of this section. Credits for post-baccalaureate and post-masters certification courses are also not subject to the provisions of this section.
5. The revenue generated from the Excess Credit Fee shall supplement student advising and counseling services, including salary and wages, operating, and equipment expenses.
6. Institutions shall publicize the Excess Credit Fee policy set forth in this section in such a manner to ensure that students have adequate notification of the fee. Institutions shall establish a procedure for notifying students who are approaching the 150 percent credit threshold.