Skip Site Navigation
365 Learning

365 Learning

Incomplete Policy

“I” is a neutral mark and represents incomplete. An “I” is given when a student is performing passing work, but for some uncontrollable reason is unable to complete a SMALL PORTION of their FINAL course requirements during the instructional period. An “I” mark is excluded from grade-point average computation. Non-attendance, poor performance, or requests to repeat the course are unacceptable reasons for issuance of the “I” mark.

What the “I” Policy Means to Online Learning Students

Students enrolled in Online Learning classes cannot request an “I” because they have gotten behind on their assignments or because they haven’t completed a large portion of the class (regardless of the reason). Sometimes students ‘drop the ball’ when it comes to their online class and hope they can get an “I” to save them from a poor grade. This is not allowed by university policy and should not be requested.

If medical events occur at the beginning of the semester, the more appropriate action at that time would be for the student to go through the Office of Admissions and Records to request a withdrawal and refund for the class (for medical emergency and/or improper withdrawal), rather than requesting an “I” for a class that basically needs to be retaken.

Another reason that online students cannot ask to finish a large portion of their class at a later date (beyond one paper or a quiz) is because a ‘re-experience’ of the entire class is not always possible the following semester when a class is not being offered. There would be no discussion component / student-to-student interaction in the “I” completion stage (which would normally take place in the online class when with other students). This again is reflected in the policy that the intent of the university “I” is NOT to allow the student a repeat of the course or a way to avoid a bad grade due to poor performance or non-attendance/non-participation.

Some students appear to misunderstand the “I” policy, so we are clarifying it now at the beginning of your class experience, to avoid any possible confusion at a later date. Please let 365 Learning know if you have any questions.